If you had 24 hours to live...


Tobias Healing the Blindness of His Father by Gioachino Assereto

This week a classical question will be addressed: 

“If you had 24 hours to live, what would you do?”

I
If someone would reveal that I only have one day left to live, I imagine my first reaction (even if for one second) would be to panic. My second response would probably be to think about all the things I didn’t do, didn’t say; all the things I didn’t have the opportunity to acquire; all the places I didn’t have the chance to visit etc. My third reaction would possibly be to ask myself whether I had accomplished all that I had been sent for (either conscious or unconsciously).

Either way, the instinctive response (of a normal individual) would be to ask oneself complex questions, whose answers would take time to reproduce and the clock is ticking...

II
If a person would prophesy that I only have 1440 minutes left to breathe, I imagine that my first reaction (even if for one quick second) would be to panic. Then I would breath in and out three times (subtracting, thus, the minutes left to Be) and begin to think. My second response would probably be to recall all the things left undone, said and clarified; all the mistakes I didn’t have the opportunity to correct; all the butts I didn’t have time to kick; all the places I didn’t have the chance to visit etc. 
My third reaction would possibly be to consciously ask myself whether I had fulfilled my mission on earth.

Either way, the instinctive response (of a complex being) would be to observe one's attitude during its entire existence; quietly judge and condemn oneself while waiting for Death to collect its Soul.

III
If a human being would vaticinate that I only have 86,400 seconds to live, I imagine that my first reaction would be to panic. My second response would be to quickly rewind all my life and remember all the things I didn’t do or say; the people I loved; the time I wasted; the things I didn’t buy and the places I didn’t go to, only to reach the conclusion that I lack time to regret whatsoever: there’s a lot to be done.

In my quest to live to the utmost for the remaining seconds I begin shooting my own foot: I heartlessly tell the truth to people (after all who cares? I will die anyway); I set in motion little unreasonable vendette (while convincing myself that it is not revenge: it is only the result of action-reaction); I waste all my money on meaningless things (I earned it, so why take it to the grave?); I negatively surprise those who love me by being so ominous, so contemptuous, so dreadful. The clock ticks...the Scythe cuts me off, and my loved ones won’t remember all the good things about me, only the bad...

My three answers reflect the complexity behind many Humans Beings...but I am much more interested in what your answer to “If you had 24 hours to live, what would you do?” is.

Comments

  1. I think I would be focusing on whether or not my life had God's stamp of approval!

    I also would gather all of my family around me and tell them how much I loved them. I might even grab a tape recorder or video recorder so that they could watch it again later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D!

    :D

    First of all: I loved your answer - thank you!

    Second, yes: it is important to have God's seal of approval - no doubt.

    "I also would gather all of my family around me and tell them how much I loved them. I might even grab a tape recorder or video recorder so that they could watch it again later."

    So sweet. That is one precious way to spend one's last 24 hours. Love it!

    D, again: thank you so much for this precious comment :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a disturbing thought! I hope I have longer :-)))

    I would certainly like to be with the people I love the most. Eating plenty of chocolate too (eh, who cares about gaining weight?!). No time for regrets, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go out and do all the sinful/banned things that I have refrained or prevented from doing all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! First off, I'd cry like a baby. Once I got over that I'd think about how I would break it to my family. With my children far from our home, and the thought of not seeing them before I went, I'd cry again. I would then share a glass of wine with my better half and talk about the good times until the cows came in.

    Take Care,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Max, I really don't know. Probably panic, but now that you got me thinking, lol, I would just spend time with love ones, and patiently wait those 24 hours too see if I will really be gone, sometimes they just tell you things so why panic, lol .... Hope you are doing well my friend. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'est la vie.

    I would give thanks to God and have a busy time wrapping things up with my wife, kids and others who are close to me. Not sure if I would bother letting people at work know I wouldn't show up the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Max, if I had 24 hours to live, I would probably panic at first and then I'd try to do all the yoga asanas I now dare not doing, for fear of breaking my back...but if I will die: who cares, right? lol
    Seriously, I don't know what my reaction would be...I think I'd pray to Hashem to guide me and receive me in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED