20/20 vision: the world in 2020?



August 28, 2020

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character."
"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together
at a table of brotherhood." (Martin Luther King Jr, on August 28, 1963)

The world has abolished discrimination, not by decree but because people grew tired of racist statements, actions and behaviours.
Ghettos were destroyed; black young men no longer constitute the majority in state prisons and, seeing a black CEO in Europe, or a black President in the United States no longer surprises people.
I proudly look around and think to myself “Wow! Martin Luther King’s dream has not only come true but also expanded…who would’ve thought that one day Portugal would have a Jewish president? Who would’ve guessed that the biggest corporation, in this country, would belong to a black lady?”
I pick up a newspaper and learn that genetic diseases are waning due to so many ethnic mixtures.
57 years after the “I have a dream” speech, people who don’t engage in inter-racial marriages are looked at askance (this can be viewed as a regression, but we know how humans are: once they overcome an obstacle, they’ll build two more afterwards…).


November 11, 2020

"Be reminded"
“I want war. To me all means will be right. My motto is not «Don't, whatever you do, annoy the enemy». My motto is «Destroy him by all and any means». I am the one who will wage the war!”
“I have not come into this world to make men better, but to make use of their weaknesses.”
(Adolf Hitler)

Neo-Nazi groups are illegal (they became illegal after a synchronised demonstration [in January 5, 2019; to mark the 100th Anniversary of the foundation of the Nazi party – Nationalsozialismus] in Paris, Lisbon, Rome, Berlin, New York and Moscow, which resulted in extreme violence between them and pro-mixed groups).
Governments, from around the world, hold a special meeting, in Gstaadt, and agree that these groups are a threat to national security. As such a bill will be passed declaring that Neo-Nazi activities will be considered an act of war, to be tried in a marshal court and punishable by Death penalty.
I finish reading this on the Internet and immediately order the TV to display the news channel. Interestingly enough, I watch a British black lady (from a Human Rights NGO) saying, “I’ve come to the sad conclusion that governments have learned nothing! People have died defending the freedom of speech. These groups aren’t traitors; they’re just expressing their ideas. And plus by listening to their idiosyncratic thoughts we may, actually, learn something about human nature!”
In shock, I nod, and tell my kids “The world has gone mad! Every time we seem to be progressing…there’s always a regression lurking! It’s the cosmic law operating, I guess…”

December 1, 2020

African leaders realise that they are totally dependent on the whim of pharmaceutical companies outside their countries.” (Dr. Mohga Kamal Smith, Health policy adviser at Oxfam)

Sub-Saharan African governments invest the proceeds of their natural resources on their National Health Systems (by building water treatment stations, sewage systems and by producing vaccines).
To tackle aids deaths they also build labs to produce antiretroviral drugs (thus decreasing its cost and, increasing the percentage of HIV infected that have access to ARD), and to decrease the number of HIV infected people governments continue to invest on the successful Abstinence-until-marriage and Fidelity program.
Africa is starting to shape up…


The world in 2020? Much more interesting and challenging, I’d say…



Please continue your Graffiti experience with

Comments

  1. Hi Max;

    Congratulations on another excellent thought provoking Graffiti article (as are all your articles).

    Obviously we both anticipate the world in 2020 will still be struggling with race and HIV…

    My comment upon section one August 28, 2020:

    I have a dream…a dream I believe is worthy of great struggle to grow and nurture…to cultivate….to eliminate racism….racism of some sort will always be with us, to our great detriment…

    Even Canada which may in some ways be the best model by human standards for elimination of racism still struggles with these kinds of issues. Granted they are not an issue that dominates the day but it still lurks there.

    I will give an example: awhile ago I had a colleague that is black (that is how he would refer to himself, he was originally from Jamaica). His girlfriend was “white” she “got pregnant” (the baby was a boy) and he said that he was going to raise him as a black man. When asked about the child’s white heritage he responded that the child “had no white heritage and was black”…unfortunately even with a beautiful blend there was…ugliness…an opportunity was presented but not received…this is all to common among all to many people…

    Yet in Canada I believe a visible minority could become Prime Minister, most people take people one person at a time, but there is lurking in the shadows evil….

    My comment upon section two November 11, 2020:

    Although I believe there is the possibility of something similar to this occurring in Europe I believe it could happen around the globe. Europe imposes a death penalty? The Germans don’t even want to shoot the Taliban!

    Although without doubt increased conflict of this kind is possible in the west, I think the increase of India and China along with xenophobia and nationalism in those countries (attached to rising success) poses as great a threat if not more so (it may even cause war).

    My comment upon December 1, 2020:

    To little to late? Hopefully not.

    Max…Very interesting take, with a creative style and flare…

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY interesting read, Max!!!

    I LOVE so many things about it he he he he...;-D Though I don't know what to comment 'coz you know me. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi max! Nice blog and very interesting posts. Btw, I joined the tag... hope you can visit :) happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max,
    I think you should write a book. This is an excellent dissertation that is on point and traget across the board.

    Let's hope that this dream becomes the reality. 2020 is not that far off and with 20/20 vision, we will see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max, interesting article, and it is around the corner, what only 13 years from now - a magic number, and once you get older (that is me, lol) time flies so fast. Interesting concept between you and Livingsword. anna :) PS I will be rereading it again, just taking bits and pieces to absorb, seems heavy topic for me, lol. Will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ! I see you've gone into 3 columns as well.

    I'd like to be optimistic, but I think the divisions are still there, just different people now. Not so much black and white , but different races, countries, religions and social classes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Max, I did not write his songs, he is an international artist. I am, however, writing my own song and practicing my singing. Thanks, I'll post it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so tired I actually double-check the date.

    "2020... huh ? Right...."

    :D

    All the quote you chose are very interesting and can be interpreted many ways... as you showed.

    I like the second paragraph... it's a common question in France : should extreme-right group be banned ? Well, freedom of speech is something I value most so I guess not. It would be an easy solution, a quick fix... that wouldn't fix anything.

    I have to think about the other things you said !

    Great post as usual ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Max, thanks for visiting my blog. You have some very nice posts, very thought provoking. Keep them coming!
    Delirious

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for dropping by max. yeah, been here in NY for almost 9 years already. oh by the way, dinner here in NY is not at 4 pm that was just my "in-between" meal. my husband and I normally have dinners at 9.

    see you around.

    ~juliana

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi max! just dropping by... and by the way I added you to my links ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Max, you know what is nice about you, you actually include your body emotions into your comments, and me having great imagination, feels like we actually converse in real life. This is cool, and thanks for your comment, I read it, but I though I gave you some input here and check out your blog again (...and to keep my visiting record in good standing, lol), thanks again, Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Top stuff, top stuff...

    Long time no see, missed your blogs!

    I just love your thought provoking optimism in this post... so happy...

    Of course, I would detail a grim side but that would ruin the point of the article, well written, superbly structured!

    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Max,
    You definitely have talent. Very nicely laid out.
    BTW, I have launched a new site. I would really like your opinion. It's a little different.....
    www.ComplainComplainComplain.com Maybe you can leave a submission?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Max,

    thank you for sending a comment about my new post, I put it on the blog and answered you there.

    I used to read Martin Luther King's moving speech "I have a Dream" with my English classes and every time I thought about how little of his dreams have been accomplished yet. There is discrimination and segregation everywhere in the world, even in the so-called democratic countries. I wonder whether that will ever change ...

    You have an interesting blog and thought-provoking articles, Max. Congratulations!

    http://olivia-kroth.blog.de.vu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Max! Thanks for comment!
    Cheers!

    -------
    midup

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this blog, Max. You and Livingsword have something good going on. I can't wait to read the next one you guys do.

    Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Marshall!!

    Welcome to MAX! Thank you for coming by, and leaving such a nice comment :)!

    LS and I will be more than glad to have you reading our next articles :)!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED