Musical Video: "Amor" by Heróis do Mar

And this week we are going back in time: 1982...
The 80's were, in my opinion, one of the best musical years (creativity flew naturally; artists were irreverant, stylish, and avant-guarde).

Heróis do Mar (Heroes of the sea) were a Portuguese New Wave/Pop-rock group (1981-1990) formed by Paulo Pedro Gonçalves (guitar), Carlos Maria Trindade (keyboard), Tozé Almeida (drums), Pedro Ayres Magalhães (bass) and Rui Pregal da Cunha (Vocals). [Note: Pedro Ayres Magalhães was not only the creator of this group but also of the group, I already introduced you to, Madredeus]

The purpose of this band was to represent Portugal, its history and culture. No wonder its name was taken, by Magalhães & Gonçalves, from our National Anthem (A Portuguesa: "Heróis do Mar, nobre povo, nação valente e imortal..." [Heroes of the sea, noble people, valorous and immortal nation..]). 
The looks of Heróis do Mar, labelled as neo-militarised; and the lyrics of its songs reflected the glorification of the Portuguese past (which didn't please many folks in our country - since we were experiencing the post-revolution era [revolution of 1974], in which being proud of our nation was the same as being fascist - and unfortunately, this feeling lasts to this present day). 

I agree when it is said that Portugal was not ready for a band so innovative and progressive; and little by little Portugal became oblivious of its Heroes. 
But I say that they were the best pop-rock band Portugal has ever seen. 

I salute Heróis do Mar for their brave & fantastic work and, by posting this 1982 hit ("Amor" = Love) I pay homage to them!




Lyrics

Amor

Ai este caminho em flor
Cheio de sol
Perfumado com o nosso amor

Quando a tua mão e a minha
Trocam doçuras
No calor eterno de ternuras

Ó amor não me mataste o desejo
Ó amor com o teu primeiro beijo
Ó amor não me mataste o desejo
Ó amor com o teu primeiro beijo

Quando a tua mão e a minha 
Trocam delícias
No calor eterno de carícias

Ó amor não me mataste o desejo
Ó amor com o teu primeiro beijo
Ó amor não me mataste o desejo
Ó amor com o teu primeiro beijo


Love

Ah, this flowered path
Bathed by the sun
Perfumed by our love

When your hand and mine
Exchange gentleness
In the eternal warmth of tenderness

Oh love, you have not put out my desire
Oh love, with your first kiss
Oh love, you have not put out my desire
Oh love, with you first kiss

When your hand and mine
Exchange pleasure
In the eternal warmth of caress

Oh love, you have not put out my desire
Oh love, with your first kiss
Oh love, you have not put out my desire
Oh love, with you first kiss

Comments

  1. Hi Max
    Happy post Maxday.

    Ah, the time machine. New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Tears For Fears, etc. all come to mind when watching this video. The 80's punctuated life with an in-your-face style while it reestablished itself as a force to be reckoned with. The music was fun, heavily synthesized and had a uniqueness all it's own. 80's music was a nice follow up to the 70's which had some of the best music to date. Alas the 80's has long gone, but I am happy that you took me back to that period in time where the music was fresh, invigorating and made a statement about making a statement. (We won't mention the fashion.)

    This was fun. Let's do it again soon shall we? Oh and the facts about Portugal were interesting too.

    80's Music Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lady A! :D

    What a wonderful surprise!!

    "Happy post Maxday."

    Happy post Maxday lol!

    "Ah, the time machine. New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Tears For Fears, etc. all come to mind when watching this video."

    Girl, I loved all of those you mentioned...sometimes I miss the 80's!

    "The 80's punctuated life with an in-your-face style while it reestablished itself as a force to be reckoned with. The music was fun, heavily synthesized and had a uniqueness all it's own."

    I couldn't agree more with you!

    "80's music was a nice follow up to the 70's which had some of the best music to date. Alas the 80's has long gone, but I am happy that you took me back to that period in time where the music was fresh, invigorating and made a statement about making a statement. (We won't mention the fashion.)"

    True, so true...but the 80's are special to me because I lived those days *nostalgia face [even though I was under 10 lol]*!
    LOL LOL LOL the fashion was terrible!!! What were humans thinking back then? LOL LOL Well, the 70's were not better...

    "This was fun. Let's do it again soon shall we? Oh and the facts about Portugal were interesting too."

    Thank you. Yes, let's... :D! I am glad you found them interesting...

    Alexys, I missed you! Thank you for having dropped by (I loved the surprised) :D!

    80's Music Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max, apesar do sumiço, vim deixar um abraço e o desejo de ótima passagem de ano! Obrigado pela companhia em 2008! Até 2009! Até já!

    \o/\o/

    Feliz 2009!

    Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Max! I hope you had a great new year celebration. I wish you and your family, cheers, good health and good tidings. Happy new year!

    Moms Check Nyo
    A Simple Life
    Mommy's Little Corner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juca :D!!!

    Obrigada, meu lindo! Desejo-te um óptimo 2009, e que a nossa amizade evolua :D!

    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Liza,

    Thank you, darling! I did have a great time and start to 2009 :D!
    I am so glad to hear from you *hug*!

    I wish you all the best! Happy 2009!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED