First US Presidential Debate: The Art of War

1st US Presidential Debate (source: Breaking News)

First, congratulations to Mitt Romney. A priori, He played his proper role in the first presidential debate (he went on the offensive). 

Mr Romney was wanting of substance and specifics; however President Obama didn't seize the several opportunities, presented to him, to expose his opponent's outdated politics and political shallowness. 

"Pretend to be weak, that [your opponent] may grow arrogant" (Sun Tzu in The Art of War).

So, what happened? I will leave the clichés with political pundits and focus on small details that caught my attention. 
For example, throughout the debate Pres. Obama took a lot of notes, which told me one thing: President Obama was analysing his opponent and taking notes of his stance, his comportment, his answers, his words, his smiles, his smirks etc.

"Force [the enemy] to reveal himself, so as to find out his vulnerable spots" (Sun Tzu in The Art of War)

In the end of the debate he said:
"Well, Jim, I want to thank you and I want to thank Governor Romney, because I think this was a terrific debate and I very much appreciate it." 
Most people were shocked by these words, because for them the debate was terrifying, not terrific; however (and the next few weeks and debates might prove me right [or not]) Barack Obama meant it when he said that he had appreciated the event (read: he took full account of Mr. Romney). 

President Obama was too relaxed. Commentators said he wasn't because he didn't smile much - well, smiling isn't always a synonymous of relaxation; look at Mitt Romney, for instance; he was all smiley and sympathetic yet he was sweating (and sweat is always a sign of nervousness, tension and lies-telling). As I was saying, Barack Obama was too relaxed, his shoulders were down, as he took notes he smirked (a smirk of victory, as strange as it may sound) and his eyes were too confident: he is on to something. 

"All warfare is based on deception" (Sun Tzu in The Art of War)

Barack Obama's profile is very clear: he is intelligent, focused, cerebral and highly competitive. Having said this, it makes little sense for him to attend a debate (scheduled for quite some time) and let his opponent shine without a purpose. At times like this I wish I were Allison Dubois - to know what is going on inside people's head - however, one thing is certain: last night's apparent failure had a purpose. 

"By altering his arrangements and changing his plans, he keeps the enemy without definite knowledge. By shifting his camp and taking circuitous routes, he prevents the enemy from anticipating his purpose" (Sun Tzu in The Art of War)

Last night, President Obama made a dangerous move and, in an attempt to ask his supporters to bear with him, he confessed the necessity behind his strategy:

"You know, four years ago I said that I’m not a perfect man and I wouldn’t be a perfect president. (..) But I also promised that I’d fight every single day on behalf of the American people and the middle class and all those who are striving to get in the middle class. I’ve kept that promise and if you’ll vote for me, then I promise I’ll fight just as hard in a second term." 

And this is why commentators felt that this sentence (and others) were a bit off. He was sending a message (spending time with Intel and Military People taught President Obama a thing or two): do not be fooled by what seems to be, he is fighting for the American Dream.

Ladies and gentlemen, we might very well be before a Political Al Capone (i.e. a shrewd, conniving, individual who is willing to do whatever [and sacrifice everything] in order to defend what he believes most in: the American middle class).
Should the Romney Camp be happy about last night's debate? They should and they do well to celebrate their victory; however, if I were them, I would seriously follow Wednesday's (from the Addam's Family) advice: "Be afraid...be very afraid!"

Comments

  1. Hey, Max!
    I simply loved it!
    I watched the debate on CNN and, quite frankly it was nerve racking, I'm neither American nor Democrat and every commentator thought the same as I did: awful...
    Like you, Mr. James Carville wasn't entirely joining the band wagon, therefore I believe camp Obama should, really, give you a job.
    If he is that conniving then, even the world should be afraid, of these new political breeding in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lenny :D!

      "I simply loved it!"

      Thanks, I am glad you did *bowing*.

      "I watched the debate on CNN and, quite frankly it was nerve racking, I'm neither American nor Democrat and every commentator thought the same as I did: awful..."

      Aesthetically speaking, it was awful indeed.

      "Like you, Mr. James Carville wasn't entirely joining the band wagon, therefore I believe camp Obama should, really, give you a job."

      LOL LOL LOL that was a good one. Thank you, nevertheless *bowing*.

      "If he is that conniving then, even the world should be afraid, of these new political breeding in the USA."

      Absolutely.

      Lenny, thank you ever so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. It was one weird debate and I can't believe I stayed up awfully late to watch it. I confess: I was disappointed. Romney said his same old bullshit, Obama slew me: what was that?
    I hope you are right. I hope it was all part of a plan otherwise he should be the one being afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D!

      "It was one weird debate and I can't believe I stayed up awfully late to watch it. I confess: I was disappointed. Romney said his same old bullshit, Obama slew me: what was that?"

      Many people felt the same.

      "I hope you are right. I hope it was all part of a plan otherwise he should be the one being afraid."

      lol I hope so too.

      Anonymous, thank you so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Max, Max, Max...is this a new trend (publishing more than once a week)? When I got this post on my email I was shocked - in a positive way. I can't share the amount of emotions that took over during that terrible debate: I felt like choking Obama with my own hands. There was so much he could've said and rebated.
    Now, if you are correct (and I hope you are, frankly) then Lord Have Mercy! Chi Town is falling upon us ahahahahaha. superb post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana :D!

      "Max, Max, Max...is this a new trend (publishing more than once a week)? When I got this post on my email I was shocked - in a positive way."

      No, not for now it isn't. We have had some exceptions these past 2 weeks, I confess. Would you like MAX to publish more than once?

      "I can't share the amount of emotions that took over during that terrible debate: I felt like choking Obama with my own hands. There was so much he could've said and rebated."

      Apparently, you were not alone *nodding*.

      "Now, if you are correct (and I hope you are, frankly) then Lord Have Mercy! Chi Town is falling upon us ahahahahaha. superb post!"

      LOL LOL LOL *nodding*. Thanks, darling.

      Ana, thank you ever so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. I only watched the first few minutes, figuring I could read the reviews or transcripts later. I liked Andy Borowitz's review best: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/10/millions-of-americans-lose-consciousness.html :)

    I think Obama royally messed up. He had millions of people watching, a priceless opportunity to lead, get his message across, and he squandered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean :D!

      "I only watched the first few minutes, figuring I could read the reviews or transcripts later. I liked Andy Borowitz's review best: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/10/millions-of-americans-lose-consciousness.html :)"

      :) thanks for this most interesting review. Sometimes I think that only people in the political industry watched the interview till the very end - because they had to, not because they loved it.

      "I think Obama royally messed up. He had millions of people watching, a priceless opportunity to lead, get his message across, and he squandered it."

      He played a dangerous game, indeed.

      Jean, thank you ever so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. My take on the debate might be very different from that of the politicians. I'm a very intuitive person, and base much of my judgment on intuition. I also have learned that a high percentage of our communication happens in our body language. My intuition read a lack of confidence in Obama's body language. IT wasn't just the body language, but also his manner of speaking, and inflection of his voice. I personally think the note taking was an attempt to cover his insecurities. Don't over-estimate his abilities. He really isn't that great of a politician. He can speak well, but his presidency has shown me that he really isn't that shrewd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D! :D

      "My take on the debate might be very different from that of the politicians."

      Politicians have a different way of reading into things, some can be rather cerebral indeed.

      "I'm a very intuitive person, and base much of my judgment on intuition. I also have learned that a high percentage of our communication happens in our body language."

      Intuition is good and only a few admit to make use of it; so: kudos for you. :D
      I agree, body talk/language is very important but it is only a complement.

      "My intuition read a lack of confidence in Obama's body language."

      Body Language experts do not agree with you. But it the fruit of your intuition is interesting.

      "I personally think the note taking was an attempt to cover his insecurities."

      Negative. That is not what note taking means, in terms of interpretation (even more so, because he was paying attention to Mitt Romney's words); however, your perception is worthy of note for future reference - thank you.

      "Don't over-estimate his abilities."

      I do not overestimate him, but I do not underestimate him either.

      D, thank you ever so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Max here is something for you to research on. My observation is just one Sanskrit word and that refers to your last paragraph, Thathaasthu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rummy :D!

      "Max here is something for you to research on. My observation is just one Sanskrit word and that refers to your last paragraph, Thathaasthu."

      Thanks, my friend *bowing*.
      It is a beautiful word!

      Rummy, thank you so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. Well the beauty of a debate is your words, poise, confidence and posture does much of the talking. Even though you may not be liked but with a good oratory skill you can surely pierce any heart, how ell fortified it may be. Only how I wish politicians cutting across colours and classes raise their benchmark a little on a higher echelon, so that the word which they speak just before elections resonance before their years after they get elected and before doing any thing unwarranted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kalyan! :D

      "Well the beauty of a debate is your words, poise, confidence and posture does much of the talking."

      Exactly: aesthetics. And aesthetically speaking, the debate was not beautiful.

      "Even though you may not be liked but with a good oratory skill you can surely pierce any heart, how ell fortified it may be."

      I am not sure this is so; but I understand what you mean.

      "Only how I wish politicians cutting across colours and classes raise their benchmark a little on a higher echelon, so that the word which they speak just before elections resonance before their years after they get elected and before doing any thing unwarranted."

      I comprehend you.

      Kalyan, thank you ever so much for your input :D.

      Cheers

      Delete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED