Do You Vote? Then Learn the Game of Favours

Marriage à la Mode by William Hogarth

If you are a voter; if you are thinking about going into politics or if you are simply a politicoholic like me...this article is for you. But if you do not grasp the privilege of living in democracy (by not voting); if you beguile yourself into thinking that you can escape politics or if you are simply politically sober...this article may not interest you.

Politics is not easy. Once you are trapped in this entangled web of constant strategy, plot, negotiation, communication, disinformation, misconception, deception, delusion, paranoia and suspicion; you need to learn the name of game: favours.

The electorate, all over the globe, has been disenchanted with politicians for many decades. For this set of people, politics is dirty and politicians are all corrupt - therefore they wait for the political Messiah to come and take them out of their misery. They want an ideologist; but is it enough to acknowledge the social needs and aspirations of the People?
An ideologist is a politician who inspires and understands the people, who pledges to fight for them and, who promises to do everything in his power to improve their life - a politician like that is loved by the electorate; is protected by them with all their might; and is viewed as the safe deposit of all their hopes and dreams. How romantic!

This sort of politician may have the best intentions (and many are truly sincere in their course of action) but then; in the process of raising funds, of garnering support, of planting the seeds of influence and of building his team; he quickly finds out that his ideology and sincere social concerns must be set aside otherwise he won't be able to get where he needs to in order to "change the system".
Raising funds for the political campaign implies promising X and Y to those who write the checks. Garnering support implies promising policies, job positions (to A, B...Z), access to social events etc. Planting the seeds of influence implies an implacable sort of favour, like "You scratch mine, I scratch yours". Building a team implies making sure that those people are always happy (lest they expose all the strategic dirt, one day)...

If the politician is fortunate enough to get into the intended office; things get even more intricate because the promises made must now be delivered (and many times in detriment of those who romantically elected him and, of himself). By this time, ideology must be carefully reviewed in the face of the interests of those who invested in him; for fear that all his political steps are either stalled or blocked, due to his "ingratitude". No, politics is not easy at all and that is why politicians are like scientists: they enter office with dark hair and leave it with a white head.

If you are a voter; if you are thinking about going into politics or if you are simply a politicoholic like me...you will try to understand who surrounds the political candidates; who is behind them; who is working with and for them; who finances them and who is connected to them, before casting your vote because when you elect a politician you also elect his entourage and its interests.

Comments

  1. Olá Max,

    My name is Celeste and I am a politicoholic...so I came to the right place.
    No politics is not easy at all; I can vouch for that!

    "Once you are trapped in this entangled web of constant strategy, plot, negotiation, communication, disinformation, misconception, deception, delusion, paranoia and suspicion; you need to learn the name of game: favours."

    Whoa! I never looked at it like that...is this what we do, really? I love my job but now I am kinda depressed before my lack of scruples ahahahaha...

    It is true though that people are disenchanted with politics and politicians; we have double the work to get to go to the polls and vote. As usual this is a sign that things must change.
    In a further expression of my lack of political conscience, I must say that I adore the favours game; I do...I won't lie about it but I also admit that it is starting to hinder the political process and system.

    One word for this article: a-w-e-s-o-m-e!

    tchau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Celeste :D!

      "My name is Celeste and I am a politicoholic...so I came to the right place."

      Hi Celeste!

      "Whoa! I never looked at it like that...is this what we do, really? I love my job but now I am kinda depressed before my lack of scruples ahahahaha..."

      Yeah, that is what we really do. LOL LOL LOL that was a good one.

      Ask the Likud and the Obama campaign the work they had to get people to the polls. The electorate is fed up. I agree: it is a clear sign that things must change.

      "In a further expression of my lack of political conscience, I must say that I adore the favours game; I do...I won't lie about it but I also admit that it is starting to hinder the political process and system."

      I hear you!

      Thank you, Celeste, for both your generosity and your comment :D. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. You are killing the mystique, Max. Let us live under the illusion that our personal interests count more than big corporate's interests. Allow us the illusion that our vote really counts and that the power remains with THE PEOPLE! Don't make us cry, Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous :D!

      LOL I am so sorry for killing the mystique...I didn't mean to ;).
      "No, woman no cry...no, no, no woman: no, woman no cry!" love that song.

      Anonymous, thank you ever so much for your comment :D. Adored it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Lass, when I sign those checks I do expect to have some return. Nothing is for free. So, ay...I am a big player in the Game of Favours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe :D!

      Keep writing those checks, my friend.
      I am simply tired of some conversations I hear; and I wish people to understand a bit the complexity behind this game. Being informed is vital in the democratic process, don't you think?

      "So, ay...I am a big player in the Game of Favours."

      Aren't we all?

      Joe, thank you ever so much for your comment :D. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. This is a really good post. I think that usually the candidate is merely a front man for a larger political machine. The problem in America is that the media is so one-sided that it is difficult for conservatives to get accurate information.

    I felt sick that my ballot didn't come in time to vote in this last election. I vow to prepare more in advance next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D! :D

      Thank you, I am glad you liked it *bowing*.

      "I think that usually the candidate is merely a front man for a larger political machine."

      And you think well.

      "The problem in America is that the media is so one-sided that it is difficult for conservatives to get accurate information."

      It is the same everywhere, I'm afraid: usually the media is leftist.
      But I must say that FOX News (that should be an alternative to conservatives) is not less bias.

      "I felt sick that my ballot didn't come in time to vote in this last election. I vow to prepare more in advance next time!"

      Sorry to hear that. That is the name of the game: preparation :D.

      D, thank you ever so much for your comment. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. Let me put it this way Max. I do all the analysis just as you suggest and then decide on the least of the evils to vote for. But vote I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rummy :D!

      "I do all the analysis just as you suggest and then decide on the least of the evils to vote for. But vote I will."

      Let me confess something to you...*whispering* I do the same.
      But vote we will :).

      Rummy, thank you ever so much for your comment :D. Adored it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Just can't agree with you more. You have put your thoughts relating to politicians so truly and beautifully. I feel its like a web, once you step in you just get deeper and deeper into it forgetting then about all ramifications and ideologies. Its kind of a hallucination effect when you take some pleasure pills and nothing looks odd to you and once you make the first wrong step then the others just follow and you are then left out of chance, whether or not in some point of you life you realize your wrongdoings or not. In our country I have seen top leaders who are not born or have any family lineage but are distinguished people in their respective fields who have joined politics post superannuation, but I fail to fathom then why they continue in the post when they themselves may be honest and clean but they are doing dealings which are murky and this is what eludes me because now everyone kind of see them in a twisted ogle. But thats the way it is, I feel the day the clandestine nature of governments and their dealings stop, then perhaps the political system will come out a lot cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kalyan :D!

      Thanks for your generosity, my friend *bowing*.

      Very well put, K *standing ovation*! We must leave it at that and reflect upon your thoughts.
      Amazing comment for which I thank you a million times, Kalyan :D. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. On entre en politique le coeur gonflé de promesses ...non tenues par la triste réalité des pouvoirs ligotés par des siècles de compromis dans les secrètes alcôves. Aussi, lorsque porteur d'espoirs se fait connaître...nous lui donnons encore et toujours le bénéfice du doute, et si c'était le bon!... incorrigibles sommes nous.
    Toujours fidèle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salut Sérénité :D!

      Tu me manquais dejá...ça va?

      C'est vrai; quand on entre en politique tout autour de nous est fabuleux, est idyllique...et aprés...la réalité nous gifle le visage.
      lol oui, je suis d'accord: incorrigibles sommes nous; parce qu'on devrait savoir mieux et pourtant on insiste sur eux (les politiciens) et on persiste dans la vain cause.

      Merci pour ta fidélité et pour ton commentaire, ma chère :D.

      Bisous

      Delete
  8. Sadly Max, your observations are quite "right on," and your last paragraph hits the crux of it. When we elect someone to public office, his/her political baggage, affiliations and obligations, are following on the coat-tails.

    We certainly do NOT live in an ideal world. But those who don't vote, give easier access to those whose self-interest is outright villainous.

    As always, thank you for the good read.

    Big hugs to you, dear Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda :D!

      Thank you *bowing*. Exactly (not voting makes it all worse) *nodding*.
      You are most welcome, my dear.

      Lynda, thank you ever so much for your comment :D.

      Big hug and cheerio

      Delete
  9. Ha, unfortunately that is how things work! There is no room for ideology only the big bucks. Do I hate it? No, because I benefit from it...hey, it's the truth, you want me to lie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana :D!

      lol I like the big bucks but I think the electorate should broaden its horizon, know what I mean?
      LOL LOL no, never lie...please ;).

      Ana, thank you ever so much for your comment :D. Loved it.

      Cheers

      Delete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED