The Lusosphere: Goa



8th of July 1497: 4 vessels (St Gabriel, St Raphael, Bérrio, Food vessel) weighed anchor in Lisbon towards India. [below you can see the route they used - black line].



18th of May 1498: Vasco da Gama arrived in India (Calcut, in the present state of Kerala, to be more precise). He had to negotiate with the local governor (the Saamoothiri Manavikraman Raja) in order to obtain favourable commercial deals - these negotiations proved to be very difficult due to the cultural differences (in the West, Kings would offer gifts to their foreign guests; but in the East, Kings expected to receive opulent presents); therefore the merchandise introduced by the Portuguese did not impress the local zamorins (Saamoothiris = a title used by the Eradi Rulers). Still, Vasco da Gama insisted and in the end he managed to get a letter (from the zamorin) conceding Portugal the trade of cinnamon, clove, ginger, pepper and gems. In exchange, Manavikraman Raja wanted gold, silver, coral and scarlet.

12th of July 1499: Nicolau Coelho returned to Lisbon (since Vasco da Gama had stayed in Azores to take care of his sick brother) and announced that Portugal had found the naval path to India.

25th of November 1510: Goa became the capital of the Indian Portuguese State (since it was the best commercial port of the region). The Portuguese wanted Goa to be an extension of Lisbon in the East, therefore they built institutions; several churches in order to expand Christianity; and forts to defend the city from external attacks (a special post will be prepared to show some of the Portuguese architectural delights in Goa).


1560-1812: the arrival of the Inquisition. Thousands of local residents were violently converted to Christianity (by missionaries): if they refused to convert they'd lose their land, titles, assets and receive a severe punishment.

1797-1798/1802-1803: brief periods of British control of the region.

1900: first bilingual newspaper (gujarati-Portuguese).

18th-19th of December 1961: 40,000 Indian soldiers take Goa back from Portugal (since António de Oliveira Salazar - the Portuguese fascist ruler - refused to return Goa to India, during the British decolonisation period), and as retaliation Portugal closed down Indian stores, in Mozambique; it arrested Indian citizens (those who had not been born in Mozambique) and put them in concentration camps, prior being expelled from the country. Portugal only recognised Goa, as being part of an independent India after the Portuguese revolution of 1974.


Language

The official language is the konkani, however there is a small portion of the populace that speaks Portuguese (and strive to keep the Portuguese traditions alive).

Cuisine

A mix of Portuguese and Indian cuisines. Before the arrival of the Portuguese to the region, there were no soups in the Goan menu, but today (if you ever visit Goa) you can taste, for example, the Fish Head Soup and Canja (= congee, inspired on the Portuguese Canja). Before the Portuguese, Goans didn't use certain vegetables either: cabbage, common bean, cauliflower, spinach and brinjal (to name a few) - only they cook it with coconut milk and lots of spices. Goan cuisine includes meat (veal, pork and chicken), being one of my favourite Goan dishes the "Chacuti" (prepared with chicken, coconut milk, spices; and served with rice). The cuisine from this region is so rich, that I will post (later on) a proper article about it - it will bring water to your mouth.

Music

Goan music was highly influenced by European music (since the Portuguese took there the piano, the mandolin and the violin). Goa produces classical music (being known by the Goa Symphony Orchestra and Goa Philharmonic Choir - founded by Lourdino Barreto); pop music (being one of the most known pop stars, Remo Fernandes) which is sung in Konkani; and Goa trance (electronic music, pioneered by artists such as Goa Gil and Fred Disko).

This week we will begin by experiencing Goa Trance: enjoy!



Next Stop: East Timor

Comments

  1. Hey Max!!!! Can't believe you found me again! :~)

    Yeah, life is BUSY! It's taken me all around in the past couple of years... Now I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree, and figuring out what to do from there. I've learned a bunch of lessons, but I know there's a lot more to come! What's up with you?

    Take it from me...Goa is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Max,

    In size, Portugal is a small country; however it is a gigantic one for it shared its ways with the whole world (Africa, America, Asia and Oceania), while enriching its own culture.

    The Portuguese legacy extends to the cuisine as well; for instance the Japanese bake a sponge-cake whose recipe is the same as the Portuguese "Pão-de-ló"; and there is a dish called "sarapatel", in Goa, which is originally from Alentejo (South of Portugal).
    There is also a region in Sri Lanka (Ceylon or Malaca) whose dialect includes a lot of Portuguese words.

    Great post, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Max,

    600 years ago, Portuguese sailors conquered the world and the sea navigation history was written.
    In the era of Hi-Tech, big vessels and nuclear submarines, who takes the time to think about those brave men whom, in adverse circumstances, made it possible for the rest of the world to easily (before the Somali pirates) cruise the seas (recreationally or professionally)?

    The world became smaller due to those guys and sometimes we even believe that we're all the same: a big human family.

    We Googled Goa: it is outstanding!

    Thanks, Max; for showing us other cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Max,

    I had never even heard of Goa before now. So many interesting facts. Thanks for opening my eyes to another place on the map of consciousness. I like the sound of "konkani."

    "Fish Head Soup and Canja."

    This sounds like something that would be in a Bond film circa Sean Connery. Is the fish head visible? Do the eyes wink? In one Bond film with Roger Moore, he had to eat a sheep's eye and it winked at him.

    The thing about trance music is it is just one note over and over and over and over.....

    Thanks for taking us to Goa this week. It was an eye opener.

    Goa Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Manimala :D!

    "Can't believe you found me again! :~)"

    Are you kidding? Of course I'd find you...I never left your place lol ;).

    "Yeah, life is BUSY! It's taken me all around in the past couple of years... Now I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree, and figuring out what to do from there. I've learned a bunch of lessons, but I know there's a lot more to come! What's up with you?"

    I am so glad you have been experiencing a whole lot of things, man (it is good for you) :D!
    I am fine, since you left I got married; I proceeded with this blog (I have been having fun), and now I am busy like hell (sacrificing the blogosphere a bit)...life is beautiful, man :D!

    "Take it from me...Goa is beautiful!!"

    I believe you! Did you know that I have Goan blood?

    Manimala, it is so good to have you back, man!! Thanks for having dropped by (I missed you) :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Dux :D!

    "In size, Portugal is a small country; however it is a gigantic one for it shared its ways with the whole world (Africa, America, Asia and Oceania), while enriching its own culture."

    Absolutely!

    "The Portuguese legacy extends to the cuisine as well; for instance the Japanese bake a sponge-cake whose recipe is the same as the Portuguese "Pão-de-ló"; and there is a dish called "sarapatel", in Goa, which is originally from Alentejo (South of Portugal).
    There is also a region in Sri Lanka (Ceylon or Malaca) whose dialect includes a lot of Portuguese words."

    You know "sarapatel"? I am impressed... :).
    I don't like Pão-de-ló...the plain one, I mean. I like the Pão-de-ló de Alfazeirão (with the egg cream inside Mmmmmm...yummy). Did you know that there are, at least, 7 ways of doing Pão-de-ló?
    Amelia (an Indonesian blogger & friend) told me that her language also has a lot of Portuguese-derived words...I was impressed by the list she sent me. Portugal was vital to world history, no doubt.

    "Great post, girl!"

    Why, thank you, darling *bowing*!

    Dux Probus, thank you ever so much for your most valuable comment (it complemented this article in utter perfection) :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi C.C. :D!

    "600 years ago, Portuguese sailors conquered the world and the sea navigation history was written."

    Indeed...

    "In the era of Hi-Tech, big vessels and nuclear submarines, who takes the time to think about those brave men whom, in adverse circumstances, made it possible for the rest of the world to easily (before the Somali pirates) cruise the seas (recreationally or professionally)?"

    I do. In fact, I stop to think about these things when it comes to architecture as well (how were they able to build such gorgeous buildings without the technology available today? It is amazing!).

    "The world became smaller due to those guys and sometimes we even believe that we're all the same: a big human family."

    So true, my friends...so true.

    "We Googled Goa: it is outstanding!"

    I am glad you liked it :D!

    "Thanks, Max; for showing us other cultures!"

    You are most welcome, C.C :D!

    Circulus Ciceronis, thank you ever so much for having made such a complementary comment :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lady A :D!

    "I had never even heard of Goa before now. So many interesting facts. Thanks for opening my eyes to another place on the map of consciousness. I like the sound of "konkani.""

    You hadn't? Than I am glad I could bring something new into your life :D. It's my pleasure, girl ^5.
    "Konkani" does have a nice sound...

    "This sounds like something that would be in a Bond film circa Sean Connery. Is the fish head visible? Do the eyes wink? In one Bond film with Roger Moore, he had to eat a sheep's eye and it winked at him."

    ROFL ROFL ROFL it is visible in the pan where it is cooked. Yes, I believe the eyes wink - I have seen it [ROFL].
    LOL really? I didn't watch that one...you kill me, girl *hand on stomach*.

    "The thing about trance music is it is just one note over and over and over and over....."

    I hear you. I don't have the patience to listen to this type of genre any longer...but it had to be shared...

    "Thanks for taking us to Goa this week. It was an eye opener."

    You are welcome, Lady A *bowing*!

    Alexys, thank you so much for your comment and for the laugh (I am still tearing) :D!

    Goa Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if I am an European (from Norway) and should be familiar with our history I learned a lot from this post - very interesting and readable.

    It's also strikes me that this was the reason why Mr. Amundsen called the ship he used to the south pole when beating Scott to be the first on the pole in 1913.

    Even from the Viking time, the Norwegians have been quite adventures you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Another history lession, another lesson learnt by someone who is almost totally ignorant of the world outside his own. Yes, that person is me and now much wiser for it, thank you.

    Now, who said the Portuguese couldn't have discovered Downunder? Lead me to them and I'll put them in the picture quick smart!

    Take Care,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Max, happy anniversary, see you soon!
    By the way, I started up a new political satire blog called Poe Slaw, so when you get back, I bet you'd enjoy (at least some parts of) it!

    Hope you're having a good time, talk to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Peter :D!

    "Another history lession, another lesson learnt by someone who is almost totally ignorant of the world outside his own. Yes, that person is me and now much wiser for it, thank you."

    You are most welcome, my dear friend :D!

    "Now, who said the Portuguese couldn't have discovered Downunder? Lead me to them and I'll put them in the picture quick smart!"

    Pete!!! I heard a fortnight ago that the Portuguese have indeed discovered Downunder, only the documents that proved it got burned during a fire in Torre do Tombo (National Archives)...I was like "Peter keeps saying that we discovered Australia and he is right!" :D
    LOL I know you would defend us :D!

    Peter, thank you so much for your input: you are a darling :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Manimala :D!

    "Max, happy anniversary, see you soon!"

    Thank you so much :D!!!

    "By the way, I started up a new political satire blog called Poe Slaw, so when you get back, I bet you'd enjoy (at least some parts of) it!"

    I already went there and I LOVED IT!!! I will be a regular reader, for sure :D!
    I wish you all the success in the world, man!

    "Hope you're having a good time, talk to you soon :)"

    I did have a great time, thanks :D!

    And thanks for your visit!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Renny :D!

    "Even if I am an European (from Norway) and should be familiar with our history I learned a lot from this post - very interesting and readable."

    Thanks, man! :D

    "It's also strikes me that this was the reason why Mr. Amundsen called the ship he used to the south pole when beating Scott to be the first on the pole in 1913. Even from the Viking time, the Norwegians have been quite adventures you know :-)"

    Thanks for this piece of info :D! lol Yes, I know...and I like the Viking hystory (you should post more about it) :D!

    Renny, thanks a million for your input; I enjoyed it a lot :D!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Max thanks for the history lesson, and yet to find out what brinjal is, egg plant, lol. You know you should have put the video first and to be played as background music if your post is read out loud, it really goes well with your writing style of this post. Excellent post again girl. Thanks for sharing. You know I am starting to enjoy it very much. Anna :)

    PS and before I forget to add, I really like your top header, did you do it yourself? and the title, you really evolved since the time I met you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Anna :D!

    "Hey Max thanks for the history lesson, and yet to find out what brinjal is, egg plant, lol."

    LOL oh yes, egg plant...brinjal was the first word that came to mind because in Portuguese we call it "Beringela"...so it is easier to remember lol.
    You are welcome ;).

    "You know you should have put the video first and to be played as background music if your post is read out loud, it really goes well with your writing style of this post. Excellent post again girl. Thanks for sharing. You know I am starting to enjoy it very much."

    You know, you are right (the video should have come first). Thanks, girl; you are kind :D!
    You are? But it is almost ending...Macau is the last stop...before returning home, of course lol.

    "PS and before I forget to add, I really like your top header, did you do it yourself? and the title, you really evolved since the time I met you."

    Yes, I did myself (and I am glad you really liked it). I used a photo taken in Mozambique and then worked it up.
    Aaah, intellectual evolution is one of my favourite desserts ;)...

    Anna, my darling friend, thanks a million for your kind words :D!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dissecting Society™ welcomes all sorts of comments, as we are strong advocates of freedom of speech; however, we reserve the right to delete Troll Activity; libellous and offensive comments (e.g. racist and anti-Semitic) plus those with excessive foul language. This blog does not view vulgarity as being protected by the right to free speech. Cheers

© 2007-2023 Dissecting Society™ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED